Henderson’s Building Activities Indicate Unparalleled Progress for City

By R. B. McGregor (1925)

Henderson, Ky. — The progress of Henderson has been very noticeable during the year 1924. The city has advanced more during the last year or two than in any like period of its more than 100 years of existence.

There was built 10 miles of asphalt streets and the work is yet going on. A construction company now is laying concrete on Main Street.

Business was reported good for 1924 and the city boasts a substantial growth in population. In 1920 the census report showed a population of 12,169, while a census taken by the Chamber of Commerce and postal authorities for 1924 shows a population of 14,179, or a 2,000 gain.

New Soaper Hotel

The greatest achievement in the way of building for 1924 was the erection of the new Soaper Hotel at a cost of $300,000. It was built with Henderson capital, exclusively. The campaign was put on early last year by the Chamber of Commerce and all stock was sold within a few days. The structure was completed in 1924. The building is modern in every respect, has six stories and contains 120 rooms.

A building and loan association also was launched by the Chamber of Commerce with home capital and is now functioning.

Another enterprise of 1924 was erection of the Kentucky Box and Crate Company’s factory on Alvasia Street, with M. L. Kattajohn as president, at a cost of $15,000. This factory is now in operation.

The Nicholson Mining and Manufacturing Company erected a mill for meal, flour, feeds and breakfast cereals on the Nicholson holdings on South Green Street, at a cost of $25,000.

East End, Too

The East End has not been backward in improvement. The Henderson Cotton Mill erected 38 bungalows on the East Side. A number of other houses were built in that section.

The new $40,000 Methodist church — Bennett Memorial — is another child of the 1924 progressive spirit. This church has a seating capacity of around 800. A new parsonage was built in connection with the church.

The church was formerly known as the Clay Street Methodist Church. The new building is located on Letcher Street and is named after its late pastor, Rev. E. R. Bennett, who spent many weeks in personal labor on the building up to his death only a few months ago. The new pastor is Rev. P. P. Napier. The church is built of concrete and brick.

Audubon Heights was not a slacker in 1924, as several nice new residences were built there.

The Anderson Box and Basket factory built an addition to its factory and is now making excelsior.

Leading in Tobacco Export

The Hodge and Imperial Tobacco factories made extensive enlargements during the past 12 months and installed new machinery for the handling of the weed at a cost of several thousand dollars. Henderson holds her own as she has for scores of years as the leading export tobacco market in America.

There are seven factories here, all dealing in foreign trade. They operate every season, giving work to hundreds of people and ship tobacco to the countries throughout the world.

Homes and Residences

A large part of the building in the city has been of homes. The Clore Colonial Court on North Main Street is a beautiful addition to the residences of the city. The Orcutt home on Main Street is another one.

Dr. R. W. Youngblood erected two modern bungalows on Elm Street. Miller and Board also built several houses in the city.

Louis Wolf has nearly completed a new residence at Tenth and Elm Street. Dr. Forward has erected ten new houses on Julia Street. Russel Knight also built on Alves and one on Center Streets.

Remodel Hotel

The Lambert Realty Company, purchasers of the Kingdom Hotel, have remodeled that building into a modern hotel with new furnishings at a cost of $50,000.

The old Transient Inn, adjoining the hotel and owned now by the same firm, is being remodeled and will be made into four new store rooms with offices on the second floor.

Roads and Highways

Roads leading into Henderson underwent the biggest improvements in 1924 ever known here. The Dixie Bee route and also the Ohio River route were hard surfaced with the exception of about three miles on each, which will be completed as soon as the weather permits. Other extensive road improvements were made in 1924.

Tourist Camp

A tourist camp was established on the banks of the river at the foot of Second Street on the old Audubon Hill site. Scores of tourists camped there during the summer of 1924.

The two buggy factories, the George Delker Company and Delker Brothers, expanded their scope of work and are now making furniture, toy wagons, ironing boards and are operating with a large force of hands.

The Heinz factory, another pride of the city, reports the largest business in 1924 since opening here eight years ago.

Everywhere the hand of progress is pointing the index finger to a greater Henderson.

Published Evansville Press – April 17, 1925