509 N. Main St. In its form, plan and roofline, this stuccoed brick house reseables its circa 1860 neighbor to the south, but its segmental-arched windows throughout, many with simple brick hood molds, indicate it is of later, pre-1880 vintage.

The Italianate house has a two-story, one-room-deep front block with side-passage plan, two one-story rear ells (one brick, the other weatherboarded), and a low-pitched hipped roof with bracketed cornice. A bracketed, hip-roofed hood added in the 20th century shelters the recessed entrance with sidelights.

The earliest known occupant of the house was tobacconist Branch A. Blackwell, who lived here from at least 1893 until around 1920. Wharf master William Shelby is listed at this address in the late 1920s city directories.


National Registry of Historic Places