The Trocadero, also known as “The Troc,” was one of the largest and most elaborate nightclubs in the area. Opened by Clarence Wood in 1939 and located on the north side of the Ohio River across from Ellis Park in a strip of land that was often referred to as “No Man’s Land.” Still part of the state of Kentucky, this small strip of land in the 1940’s became famous for its active nightlife. Gambling and other vices were extremely common as law enforcement with jurisdiction in the area would largely look the other way. It was during this decade that Henderson gained the nickname “Little Chicago. Live music from musicians such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway brought large crowds.

The Trocadero closed in 1950s. The building burned on January 8, 1990.

Google location


Courier and Press: History Lesson: Club Trocadero by Daniel Smith 23 Jan 2018 * Sheriff Buster Brackett was impeached — not Wood’s partner Elmer Herron. *