The Hord House, originally run by Frank P Hord (1827-1896), was located at the SW corner of N Main and First Street. In April 1878 Hord transferred ownership to Thomas J Below. Below later closed the hotel in 1880. In 1885, W. H Barret invested in the hotel and had it enlarged. The name changed to Barret House. The building burned on 20 July 1896.

The Old, Reliable, and only First-Class Hotel in the city.