The Hotel Kingdon (Kingdon Hotel) located at 231 Second Street. Erected in 1890-91 by Louis P. and Charles F. Kleiderer and originally named “Hotel Henderson”. Demolition began on 26 March 1973.

The Kingdon Hotel on Second Street was a pile of rubble by Sept. 9, 1973, but several people reminisced about its glory days to Anna May Nesmith of The Gleaner.

The large building was erected in 1890-91 by Louis P. and Charles F. Kleiderer. They fell on hard times and sold the hotel to Charles F. King of Corydon, and the hotel was renamed in his honor.

The Hotel Kingdon as it appeared in Illustrated Henderson, which was issued by the Henderson Commercial Club in 1911.


Henderson history: A historic city hotel bit the dust in 1973 by Frank Boyett 24 March 2023

A century ago, Henderson rolled into the automotive age by Frank Boyett