Blackwell House

Description from National registry of historic places:

“This two-and-one-half-story brick house exemplifies the Queen Anne style in its varied and irregular form, roofline, surfaces and materials. The house consists of a tall hip-roofed core from which slightly shorter gable-roofed wings ending in two-story polygonal bays project on the side eleva-The ast distinctive elements appear on the main facade where a round three-story tower warks each corner and the central bay features a convex wooden porch with turned posts and sawn spandrels at the first story and a gabled wall dormer at the attic. Although the towers vary in their circuaferences and conical roof heights, they are identical in their detailing with includes second-story stone stringcourses and bands of brick corbelling above the second and third stories. Variety in surface textures also appears throughout in the rough-faced stone lintels, sills and foundation, prominent roof cresting and finials, rusticated ashlar covering the front parapetted gable, and terra cotta panels with foliate reliefs in the upper facades of the entrance bay..
Much of the interior, including the ornate oak woodwork in the entry hall, reaains intact. The house was built sometime between 1892 and 1897, when it first appears on the Sanborn insurance maps, by a member of the Blackwell family — either Paul Alexander Blackwell (born 1826), co-founder of the wholesale hardware business P.A. Blackwell & Co., or his son William W. Blackwell, listed at this address in the 1909 and 1915 city directories. There have been several owners since the 1920s.”

References: National Register of Historic Places Collection