The cornerstone for the Adas Israel Temple, on the corner of Alves and Center streets, was laid by Masonic Lodge No. 9 on July 19, 1891. The congregation had been formed a number of years earlier (about 1887) at the home of Mrs. Oberdorfer and the group had continued to meet at the homes of members for worship services. The temple site was donated at that time by Henry and Maurice Baldauf.

The Temple was dedicated on Sept. 17, 1892 and at this service the choir was led by Mrs. J.M. Bach with Professor Bach at the organ. Officers of the Temple were: H. Schlesinger, president;

Henry Baldauf, vice-president; H. Lauchheim, treasurer, and Henry Levy, secretary.

Twice the congregation offered the Temple for the use of Baptist churches: once to Immanuel Baptist in 1914 while it was building its sanctuary, once to First Baptist after a fire in 1932.

As membership dwindled with the loss of Jewish families in the community, services were discontinued and members began attending Washington Avenue or Adath Israel Temples in Evansville. The building was sold to a Christian congregation.

2023 Photo
1906 Sanborn Map

Google Location


The Annals and Scandals of Henderson County, Kentucky