The old City Building, built in 1903, was demolished on Sept. 1, 1971. The building had been condemned as unsafe because of damage suffered in a Nov. 9, 1968, earthquake.

The building proved resilient. The first blow by a 3,000-pound wrecking ball failed to knock a single brick out of place. After eight blows, the 15-inch-thick brick wall was finally penetrated.

The current city building was built in this same location, at First and Elm Streets.

Also visible in these fire dept training photos.