“Between the years 1824-1861 Henderson was without a church building. Father Elisha J. Durbin had the responsibility of pastoral care for the Catholic population throughout western and southwestern Kentucky. St. Louis Catholic Church was then built in 1861 and not until 1866 was it appointed its first resident pastor- Father William Dunn.”

“Father Thomas F. Tierney arrived in Henderson on January 5, 1881 – the feast of the Holy Name. During his 20 years here he labored to unite his growing congregation and oversee all the tasks involved in constructing a new church. He asked for and received permission to change the name of this church to Holy Name of Jesus. In 1891 the new church located on the corner of Second and Ingram streets was completed and has remained the Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church.”


Holy Name Parish

Google location