Built in 1904, the Ohio Valley Banking and Trust building sits at the SE corner of Main and Second Streets (140 N Main Street)

Harris & Shopbell, architects, The Rookery, are erecting the new building for the Ohio Valley Banking and Trust company at Henderson, KY. The brick work is now completed and ready for the roof. The house is located at the corner of Main and Second streets with a frontage of forty-four feet on the former street and one hundred feet on the latter. It will be five stories in height besides the basement. The building is fireproof throughout. The system of the Northwestern Expanded Metal company of Chicago being used throughout for floors and partitions. This is a system of reinforced concrete with beams for joists, no wood being used at all in the construction. The basement in addition to rooms for heating apparatus and fuel will be occupied by a barber shop with well equipped bath and toilet rooms. A large fire proof vault is also located in the basement for storage purposes, to be used in counection with the bank. The first floor will be occupied by the banking and trust company, with a private office for the cashier and a store room in the rear which has been leased by the Cumberland Telephone company for a long distince station and business offices.
The entrance to the office building will be on Second street in the rear of the banking room. This corrider will have tiled floor with an iron stairway to the floors above. A modern hydraulic elevator has been provided to run from the basement to the fifth floor. Each floor will be arranged for fifteen complete office rooms and with toilet rooms. The Cumberland Telephone company will occupy the entire fifth floor, using it as their exchange room. The banking room will be finished in mahogany with high wainscoting and marble base. The floors to be of mosaic tiles. The bank will be provided with two large steel lined vauits with time lock doors.
The exterior of the building is constructed of buff St. Louis hydraulic pressed brick with trimmings of Bedford stone and plate glass windows. When completed the building will be one of the finest in the central west and will be the only fire-proof builing in this section of the country.

2023 Google Street View

Google Location



Evansville Courier and Press October 30, 1904