Before the Second Street overpass, citizens had to deal with the problems of crossing the railroad tracks, which sometimes caused backups. In 1979, the Kentucky Bureau of Highways started work on the railroad overpass on Second Street.

George’s Place, a tavern owned by Bobby Golday, was purchased by the Kentucky Department of Highways for its Second Street overpass project in 1979.

The overpass officially opened on 18 Dec 1981.

1 April 1981


Gleaner file photo by Mike Lawrence

Kentucky Bureau of Highways – Second Street – Zion Road KY 351 – Project RR 08 1-1 – 21 Sept 1979

Kentucky Department of Highways – Second Street – State Project 31-79-8 – 1952