Google Location

The building was originally built as a glass house restaurant in 1940.

The restaurant operated through 1951, at which time it was bought by Iley Browning, who gutted the interior and converted it into offices for his oil company the following year. The Interstate Co.’s distinctive tower was removed at that time.

Maynard Glunt bought the property in 1974 and opened Benton-Glunt Funeral Home there in 1975 after he modified the building so much that it hardly resembles the Glass House.

This funeral business started out as a one room building on South Main Street in Henderson, Kentucky in the mid-1800’s. In 1926, Sheriff Otis Benton bought the business at the courthouse doors and renamed it Otis Benton & Son. Maynard Glunt purchased the business and moved it to its current location on Green Street.


Gleaner: BOYETT: Glass House opened here in 1940